Friday, January 1, 2010

Notes from WJC - USA vs. Canada 12/31

Canada 5, USA 4 (SO)


Due to the New Year's Eve festivities, I was not able to see all of what was a phenomenal game from all I've heard.  I do have a few reactions from the coverage I was able to catch...

Chris Kreider drew his second penalty shot in as many games by using his size and speed to make a Canadian defenseman look like a statue in the slot.  He was tripped down after creating a partial breakaway, but failed to convert on the penalty shot this time as the Canadian netminder forced his shot wide.  Derek Stepan continues to impress me with his poise on the puck and his leadership.  He did a good job defensively, effectively moved the puck up ice, and uses his size and sense well.  After Jordan Schroeder was stopped to end the shootout and the game, the first thing Stepan did was talk to USA goalie Jack Campbell and try to lift his spirits.  The more I watch him play, the more I can't wait to see him wearing a Blueshirt!  Ryan Bourque seemed to continue skating better and did a good job defensively in the efforts I saw.

Team USA returns to action to face Finland in the quarterfinals on Saturday (1/2) at 9pm ET.  the game will be broadcast live on the NHL Network.  The winner of that game will face Sweden at 9pm Sunday in the semifinal round.

No comments:

Post a Comment