Monday, January 25, 2010

Postgame Reactions - Rangers vs. Penguins 1/25

Penguins 4, Rangers 2
  • Artem Anisimov...I was wrong.  I said he needed a day off, and it's a good thing he didn't get one since he provided all of the Rangers' scoring.  The best part for me was that he scored one goal using his stick handling skills and the 2nd goal by crashing the net.  He was also robbed by Fleury at least twice on very nice deflections in front.
  • John Tortorella did a lot of line juggling during the game, and I can't say I blame him.  When your team hasn't put a single puck in a net for 7 straight periods, you have to try something.  That said, I still don't understand the thought process between sending Erik Christensen to the press box.  For a team that's hurting on the scoreboard, sitting a guy who can cash in for the 5:36 that Brashear played makes no sense to me.  If Torts was set on benching Christensen, Ales Kotalik should have gotten the chance.
  • While I'm on personnel decisions, I still don't like the Girardi/Del Zotto pairing.  Girardi/Staal and Del Zotto/Rozsival seems much more effective.
  • Henrik Lundqvist had his worst night in a LONG time.  Both goals by Chris Conner (7g in 77 career games before tonight, called up from the AHL today) looked rather soft to me; and according to Stan Fischler, Hank admitted he blew it on the game-winner.
  • Without the benefit of replay, I didn't see the apparent slash that Marian Gaborik was called for (and led to the tying goal).  It seemed like a terrible call and I just had a feeling that the PEns would cash in on it.  The usually outstanding Rangers PK seems to have issues killing off penalties that appear to be bad calls.  That's something that needs to be fixed, and it's a 100% mental issue.
  • On the officiating...where to start?  I already mentioned the call on Gaborik that seemed to be a soft call to me, but to have Wade Redden essentially bear hugged away from the puck minutes later right in front of the referee and have no interference called is just mind boggling to me.  If there is a video being made to teach new officials what interference is, a clip of that play should be on it.  Also, there was one play in the third period when the puck so clearly hit the netting that all 10 players stopped playing, but it took 4 players staring at the referee for anyone to blow a whistle.
  • Marc Staal and Christopher Higgins both rebounded with strong showings.
  • What is there not to like about Ryan Callahan?  6 hits, 4 shots on goal, and the best backcheck I've seen all year in catching Orpik from behind on a shorthanded breakaway and taking the puck away before Orpik could get a shot off.  Now if only he could have netted one of those...

1 comment:

  1. I don't know man. I give you alot of credit for writing things objectively. All I got right now is that this team is one sad sack of wannabes.

    Of course there is some bright spots (the usual) here and there. Cally as you stated, Del Zotto, and Avery was one of the most noticeable guys on the ice lastnight. Although not playing the pest part which I think helps this team.

    Brashear was a waste lastnight. I also never want to hear this team talk about revenge or retribution after they get treated like door mats. From my seat I didn't see Cooke get the payback he was due for running AA. But, at least AA did the best he could to stick it back himself. Watch out Philly! LMFAO!

    As soon as the Pens took the lead I told my wife how it was ending. "4-2, empty net goal". No conifdence in this team to do anything else. After all, do they have the confidence to do better? I don't see it!

    Frustrated to say the least...

    ReplyDelete